Monday, September 8, 2008

More Show News!

I’ve got some great news to share with everyone

First. I am thrilled to announce that Mr. Sheperd Paine has agreed to join the APG as an Honorary Director and Show Chairman for the 2009 Gettysburg Show. I think everyone will agree that having Shep on board will be a huge asset to the APG in all aspects of our organization but especially with his expertise in running shows and his wide reach across the hobby. Welcome aboard Shep.

I was also privileged to visit with Bob Langenberg and his beautiful wife Ann this weekend in Montgomery Alabama. Bob and Ann are the best of hosts and I enjoyed every minute of my stay. (Including the 3 lb bass I caught in Bob’s pond). While there we met with Mr Bob Bradley, Curator with the Alabama Dept of Archives and History. He took us to the repository were we viewed the flag of the 5th Alabama Bn, the focus of our 2008-2009 fundraising effort. Viewing and touching (with gloves and very, very carefully) this stained and bullet riddled banner was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Mr. Bradley also gave us a great behind the scenes tour of the archives which included the many other famous Alabama flags in their collection. Mr. Bradley, much to our surprise and great pleasure, offered to bring the flag of the 5th to the Show in Gettysburg! Mr Bradley is a wealth of information and an excellent speaker who goes beyond any expectations in telling the story of these this and all the flags in the repository. His presence along with the flag will be a highlight if not the highlight of the show. I can’t tell you the feeling that came over me when he made the offer. I can tell you that viewing this flag in person and listening to its story from Mr. Bradley will be a very unique and rewarding experience for everyone attending.

John Jefferies will be sending flyers to prospective vendors for the show in the next week or so. If you are a vendor I hope you will consider attending and sharing your goods with out attendance. There are some benefits for signing up early so don’t delay!

Thanks for your support!

Mike Stelzel

No comments: